Consumer Directed Services (CDS)
The Consumer Directed Services Program (CDS) is a program that allows an individual to direct his or her own personal assistance services at NO cost to the consumer. CDS is funded by MO HealthNet (Medicaid) and administered by DHSS. Being on a consumer controlled personal attendance services program gives the person with a disability control over their own life. To do this, the person with a disability actually becomes the employer and hires their personal attendant. Individuals on the CDS program are trained to hire their own attendants to assist them with daily tasks such as housekeeping, cooking, personal care, and essential transportation. A friend or family member may be hired as an attendant, with the exception of a spouse or anyone under the age of 18. The attendant must have a clean background check through the Missouri State Family Care Safety Registry before being employed by a CDS participant.
Who Is Eligible For CDS?
To be eligible for Missouri’s Consumer Directed Services (CDS) program, you must:
- Have active Missouri Medicaid
- Have a physical disability
- Be mentally capable of making decisions regarding both your health care and your employer responsibilities
- Over 18 years of age
- Score at least 24 points on a needs assessment performed by DHSS
Requirements for Personal Care Attendants
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be able to meet the physical and mental demands required to perform specific tasks required by a particular consumer
- Agree to maintain confidentiality
- Be emotionally mature and dependable
- Be able to handle emergency type situations
- Not be the consumer’s spouse
- Be registered, screened and employable pursuant to the Family Care Safety Registry (FCSR) and the Employee Disqualification List (EDL) and applicable state laws and regulations. If you are not registered with FCSR you can do so by following this link or by submitting all required documents along with the $15.25 registration and processing fees to RAIL.
Are you interested in becoming a Personal Care Attendant (PCA)?
Complete these forms and return to either RAIL office.
Already an attendant?